Marketing Across Borders

>> Friday, August 7, 2009

Global assignments always present interesting challenges. Time zones, language barriers, cultural variations to name a few of the obvious. Navigating our differences around the globe is a lot of work.


I am currently working on a really interesting global branding assignment where these challenges certainly do exist. The global branding team I'm working with includes a core team from Spain and Australia as well as other members from around the world. Gosh, even Canada. It's been a lot of work.

Setting up meetings at 7:00am my time while it is the middle of the afternoon in Europe and late at night in Australia. Trying to explain the difference between "restless" and "relentless" to team mates for whom English is a second language. Interpreting different business style across the cultures and understanding their meaning.

Lots of differences to navigate. But what I've also realized is that despite our differences, we have an incredible amount in common. We share traits that are much bigger than time zones, languages, and styles, that are resulting in really good work.

Like passion. I often find it annoying when people say they have a "passion for the business." Working with this team, I now know what it means. These folks are passionate. Me, I just like to do good work and get things done. I guess you can call that passion.

Really smart marketing. I thought I was good, these folks are GOOOOOD!

And an unbelievable grasp of the consumer. A fundamental of marketing, I know, and it's amazing how we all share a deep knowledge of the consumers we are targeting. And how similar those consumers are around the world.

I've been blown away by our common passion, marketing skills, and consumer knowledge. Regardless of country of origin.

The result? A really cool worldwide branding project that crosses borders and brings us together. Something we are all "passionate" about.

Hope this finds you well -- Jim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment