Does anyone recognize this vegetable?

>> Tuesday, March 30, 2010


In the spirit of participating in the new locavore movement, VP, Director of Channel Planning Melissa Gordon , has a mystery she’d like to share.

Here she is, to explain!

I decided to sign up for deliveries from a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group in the tri-state area. Upon beginning my search, I happily stumbled upon an organization that delivers the bounty of veggies directly to the welcoming arms of my doorman. This was far more appealing than having to run to pick up the veggies between 3:30-6:6:30 every Thursday, which seemed to be the norm with most other local CSA offerings . Plus, the deliveries will be coming once a month and the most exciting thing is that I have no idea what's going to be in the box, and I love that.

My first delivery came Wednesday, and I felt like a kid on Christmas (or what I imagined that would feel like) when the box was brought up to my apartment. I was thrilled as I pulled out bag after bag of vegetables that I knew well, until I came upon the mystery vegetable I have pictured in the photo.

Below is an itemized list of the crate:

1 insanely large head of cabbage that weighs 4 pounds (Seriously, I weighed it)
2 dozen eggs
1 quart of organic whole milk (which was ceremoniously donated to the doormen)
1 jar of pickled beets
14 turnips
11 shallots and onions
18 carrots
9 red bliss potatoes
8 beets
2 garlic bulbs still covered in dirt

And 5 – five! - of the mystery vegetable.

I look at this as my 'veggie adventure' and have made a promise to myself that I will use all of what is delivered in new recipes, so please let me know if anything on the list jumps out at you that you may have a great recipe for. As of now, given the inventory I'm thinking there will be a lot of soup made this weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment