Good Marketing is No Coincidence

>> Sunday, July 19, 2009
















Ever notice how when you first hear of something, you think that you've never heard it before? And then suddenly, you hear the same thing over and over (often in the same day) and you can't believe that you never noticed it before?

I suppose from a behavioral standpoint, that phenomenon has something to do with a raised awareness of a topic that the brain now more easily recognizes and remembers.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Not when it comes to good marketing.

It's no coincidence that after a first exposure to a brand, consumers suddenly notice it over and over again -- in a short period of time. Hopefully leading to trial of that brand.

That's no coincidence. It's good marketing leading to new sales -- the result of a thorough plan to continually reach consumers at various places in their lives.

I just had such an experience with Tim Hortons -- the coffee house franchise that is hugely successful in Canada. Read the backgrounder here if you are interested: http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/index.html

Tim Hortons is coming to the US and is planning on giving Starbucks a run for its money. Dunkin Donuts too.

There was a story about Tim Hortons on The Today Show last week. I watched it with great curiosity because I am a loyal fan of Starbucks, although admittedly that brand is faltering in my eyes. But that's another story.

No sooner did I see the story on The Today Show, but then there's a cover story on my Yahoo! home page. And a mention on the radio. And in a feature story on CNN. Holy cow, Tim Hortons is everywhere. How could it be that I had never heard of this brand before?!?

And then, to top it off, I'm running to catch a train at Penn Station and I see a "coming soon" sign, a stone's throw away from several Starbucks.

Coincidence? No, just good marketing. Can't wait to try it.

Hope this finds you well -- Jim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment